Wednesday 27 April 2011

Secret Stitching

A few months back one of the lovely ladies from my local mums knitting group, Zoe, gave me some yarn that she wasn’t going to use. It was Patons Fuzzy Wuzzy and it looked like it was from the 1950s from the design of the label, although that’s most likely a ridiculous over exaggeration. I had about a ball and ¾ of each colour in a grey and a white and no ideas what to do with it. They went straight into the stash.

Zoe was pregnant when she gifted the yarn to me and as she grew and grew and started coming to the group less often I decided that it would be a nice idea to make something for the baby using the yarn. I found pattern in Simple Knits for Cherished Babies by Erika Knight which is surprising as I never really liked the book much as I thought the patterns were too simple. The pattern I chose was the Vintage Cardigan, which is mean to have a velvet ribbon sewn round the edges, but I decided to jazz it up a bit with some subtle colour stripes instead. This made the simple pattern a little more interesting for me and soon I was knitting away happily.

I made sure I bought two projects along to our group meet-ups in case Zoe came along and a few times my second project came out of the bag instead of the secret cardigan. The yarn was so soft to work with but quite fluffy and I realised that it probably wasn’t terribly well suited to baby garments, but I figured that perhaps it would fit a doll or a bear if it posed a choking/ breathing/ general health hazard.

The cardigan was finished about a week prior to the birth of beautiful baby Inez. I handed over the finished article to Zoe, a gift from gifted yarn and she loved it. Baby Inez has managed to model it for us here despite the warm weather at the moment. You’ll be glad to hear it hasn’t seemed to impair her breathing at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment